Sunday, May 18, 2008

Ross Runge: professional badass




I spent today with Ross Runge and it was one of the best days I've had in a while. I first met Ross through my work. He comes in every day twice a day and gets a small coffee in the morning and a small mocha (yes whip) in the after noon. Ross works construction a block away from my job.



Brynn: Tell me a little about yourself, Ross.
Ross: Well, I'm a little bit of everything. I'm real friendly to everyone and some men think I'm a gay because of it. I'm real big on socializing. People come to me with all sorts of questions. I don't know why; do they think I'm a fxxxing answer maching? I'm a collector and a handyman too.

B: what do you collect?
R: everything. Everything under the sun. Bottles, knives, old things, clocks, things with eagles or owls, bird pictures, baseball things, bike things... It's all piling up and I'm getting a little sick of it.

B: Do you have any kids?
R: Yeah, I've got a 5th grade boy named Cole and he is a great kid. He lets me help him with his science projects and likes to help me in the garden and with the chickens. We play with our dog together. He's my buddy.

B: Tell me about your dog.
R: We've had Fergie for a year now, and she's a great dog.

B: Fergie?
R: I always liked that song 'Big Girls Don't Cry.'

B: Ross, if you could have any car in the world, what would it be?
R: Oh, easy. A 66 Chevelle. 375 Horsepower, red on black. Preferably a four speed. Bucket seats inside. Now that's an ass kicking car.

B: What is some advice that you think everyone needs to hear?
R: Always keep your word. Follow through with what you're going to do. This makes you trustworthy and reliable. If you don't follow through on a regular basis, people will remember and they won't call on you again because they remember when you let them down. Treat others with the same respect you'd like to be treated. Be the first to say hello in the morning or when you walk into a gathering. It creates more of a positive atmosphere. Talk to people from all walks of life. Listen to old people.

No comments: