Sunday, May 11, 2008

Zach Houston and the Poem Store

Zach Houston has been writing poems as his profession for over two years, calling himself the Poem Store. He finds corners of San Francisco to occupy and sells people poems that he writes on his typewriter. Each poem is different.



How I met Zach: I was going on a trash run at work, and he was sitting outside on the corner with the Poem Store set up.
Brynn: How long have you been writing poems?
Zach: I've been writing poetry for quite a while but I've only been able to call it my job for the last two years or so. It's been that long since I've had any other job.
B: How much money do you usually make on any given Saturday?
Z: seventy dollars on an average day, one hundred fifty dollars on a good day. It pays the bills... usually. There are always those three weeks in February where it just rains. Business is bad enough then for me to loose my house.
B: how old are you?
Z: I'm 25, 26 on June 11.
B: What is the weirdest thing anyone has ever asked you to write a poem about?
Z: One time this guy said "after 28 years, my wife left me yesterday. write a poem about that." Another time a girl wanted me to write about her dad who had died that morning. These things blow my mind.
B: Is every poem different?
Z: yeah, I just wish I could remember some of them. I've sold some really good ones for less than a dollar and some really shitty ones for fifty. But after I hand them off, they're just gone. A lot of people ask me to write about their dogs and a lot of those poems get redundant, but yeah, they're all different.
B: where do you see yourself in the future?
Z: I want to start an institute called Life School where artists can live and share gallery space in a collaborative community. Life School students would be basically employed by the school to scout and poach creative individuals from corporate art schools in order to not only tear down the academy ideal but to build up the creative collaboration at the Life School.

all of Zach's answers were written by memory. While they aren''t exactly word-for-word direct quotes, they are very close.

No comments: